Frankenstein at the Museo del Libro Fadrique Basilea
On Saturday October 26th the Book Museum Fadrique de Basilea (Burgos, Spain) offered a kid’s workshop as part of their October Family Program using our app, Frankenstein, for children . The workshop was very complete and was brilliantly presented by Javier Gil.
Six children participated in an unique interactive experience and had fun while learning about Mary Shelley’s classic. The activities were the following:
- First they gave the kids a reproduction of the cover of the 1st edition of Frankenstein printed on “old paper”. They loved it.
- After followed a presentation of “Frankenstein” as a literary work: the circumstances of his writing, the author, the legend of Prometheus , the “false myths” and a summary of the argument naming some characters.
- Then they showed the children the application on a large screen TV and they were guided through the components of the app: navigation, help, scenes, microphone… The children listened to the first scene narrated by the actor.
- Then the children were put to work with the educational app: each of them dubbed one of the six scenes. At the end they could heard their own voices .
- Then Javier showed them some of the interactive elements that could be found in the application: “pieces” to collect, books opening when touched and minigames. They were showed the “puzzle”, the musical games and the play of the specimens. Once they knew to use the “browser” they visited the lab scene and performed the game. Javier tells us that “they struggled a bit but they all got it.”
- Finally they had free time so they could look for other games or advance through the story looking for the secrets of each screen… Javier guided activity while advising them or giving them hints but as he says “soon they knew it much better than me.”
This workshop has been a good example of the positive effect of combining new technologies with traditional educational techniques. This is a fun way to introduce children with serious works of literature without them getting bored. Thanks to the entertaining games of this application for tablets children can learn without realizing it while they have fun. And what is more important it is a fantastic way of spending some time with your kids.
Find a video about the amazing Book Museum Fadrique de Basilea (Burgos, Spain)